Monday, February 7, 2011

LIFE DILEMMAS

I know a few girls in college who have recently gotten boyfriends. Not that I mind, they look amazingly happy which is great for them. But watching them with their boyfriends and the attitude change in them kinda leaves me thinking. Is that what love does to us?

One of them used to be superbly health conscious. She was the type of person who would eat fruits after every meal, go dancing to keep her figure, watch her food and stuff like that. Now she smokes shisha and cigarettes, drinks and goes clubbing. Well okay, clubbing = dancing = keeps her figure. Let's log that away. When asked about why she smokes and drinks, she says it's because her boyfriend and his friends do and so, it's just social smoking and drinking. She "has it under control". And besides, she "doesn't even like it that much". I guess if it was her own choice to smoke and drink because she wanted to, I understand. Everybody is curious, everybody likes trying new things. But why do it for a boyfriend? Is that real love? Destroying your body inside out to spend time with a person you care for?

Another one of them used to wear a tudung. I don't know her that well, so I'll be stereotypical here. Tudung = no cigarettes. Enter boyfriend: tudung comes off, bikini comes on, cigarette enters mouth. I know I'm not being naive, even I can tell that's a drastic change. And why? I dunno, it started roughly around the time she got a boyfriend.

Which brings me to my million dollar question in life: How do you know when love is real and when it's not?

More thousand dollar questions: Does changing for the worst for the sake of love make it real? Or is it just the fact that you're willing to change for a loved one that validates your backward change? But then if the love you're feeling is real, shouldn't the person love you for who you are, flaws and all? But isn't change part of growing up? But isn't growing up knowing which choices are right and which are wrong? But what defines right and wrong nowadays when what was once wrong in the past is seen as an accepted thing now?

See how life messes a person up. No wonder suicide rates are up.

Okay, now that my head is properly messed with, I am going to grab a pizza and scarf down my thoughts while watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

And to all, a good night!

1 comment:

harlequinchick7 said...

1. Hi nadia! : )

2. Yeppp that's what people do. I've seen it firsthand. I think the less dominant person adapts to the other, so when boyfriend likes to shisha, girlfriend likes to shisha and vice versa. And i believe it will happen to everyone, unless both you and your guy have the same interests in the first place. But those girls are way too spineless and drastic. From tudung to bikini? Even more of a rockstar than me!

3. Scott Pilgrim (Y)

4. I like your blog. And your writing.