Wednesday, November 3, 2010

God save the queen

Yesterday, I was waiting in line for my lunch with a friend who grew up all over the world. He had lived in Saudi, Jamaica, UK and now he's in Malaysia. I had only been to the UK once when I was 11 and we were talking about the sights there. Then he asked me how Malaysia has been treating me. And I answered,

"Ugh, I've been in Malaysia my whole life. I can't wait to get out."

For some reason, I can't really understand why I said that. I mean, there are definitely things about Malaysia that I absolutely cannot stand. Like the petty politics and corrupted politicians, education system for robots, stereotypical Malays who cannot accept change, money hungry Chinese and scary Indians (i might be acting a little racist here but its a goddamn fact), the inability of Malaysians to recognize something good and just throwing it away, how its weird to be different, and the weather. For some reason, the weather just pisses me off. When it's hot, it's TOO HOT. I'm happy whenever we get a storm because that's the only time I get to wear a thick and comfortable hoodie without looking totally out of place and baking myself with the heat. But then when it rains for weeks on end, everything gets flooded and I can't go out, I get pissed off again.

But then, I thought back and realized all the things I would miss if I were somewhere else. Roti canai, nasi lemak, teh tarik, mamak shops, all my friends here, roti naan at Taj with my dad, the seedy karaoke booths with weird song selections, the beach, the people, the pasar malams and 476534092375 other things that would cross my mind if I actually sat down and really thought about it.

(I realize that most of the things I think I'll miss is the food. Bahaha)

(Further realization) I guess most of the things I don't like are the big things that matter in the makings of a country. Educational system, society's perception, politics etc. Eventually we might just totally fail as a developing country and never be able to be seen as a "developed" country, the way we're going. And it makes me worry, therefore making me feel like getting my ass out of here, to save it from a less than ideal future.

But then, bottom line is, wherever I go, these small things like roti canai and seedy karaoke booths are going to make me miss Malaysia like a sick dog. Because nothing is going to change the fact that I have lived my whole life here, that this place is home.


CEYYYY check me out, being all patriotic. Somebody play 'Negaraku', lets all stand up and cry for this beautiful country.

(See my pathetic attempt to not seem lame and touchy-feely. Ugh =.= thank God nobody reads blogs anymore)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://nfatinafifa.tumblr.com/post/1480195998/belacan